Our Values

Our Values

  • We see all children as unique; our curriculum promotes the development of the whole child as confident, imaginative and independent learners who are able to face the future with resilience creativity and enthusiasm.
  •  We encourage the spiritual and moral development of each person, as well as their intellectual and physical growth. We respect each child in our school for who they are, and treat everyone with fairness and honesty
  •  We value the importance of each person in our community, and promote co-operation, understanding and harmony
  •  We aim to enable each person to achieve their full potential ensuring we provide equal opportunities for all the children in our school
  •  We value our environment, and teach respect for our world, and the importance of caring for it, now and into the future.
  •  Every pupil at Ruskington Chestnut Street C of E Primary Academy has the opportunity to follow all National Curriculum subjects as well as taking part in extracurricular events.
  •  We are committed to narrowing the attainment gap between SEN and non-SEN pupils. This can be through a variety of identified appropriate intervention programmes, based on individual learning needs.
  •  We have very good attendance at Ruskington Chestnut Street C of E Primary as pupils enjoy and want to come to school because of the outstanding quality of our provision for all.
  • Every pupil is important to us and is recognised as an individual with particular needs. Staff  have worked very hard to develop approaches within and beyond the classroom which mean that the learning needs of all pupils can be met.
What does SEN look like at  Ruskington Chestnut Street Primary?

We make every effort to be a fully inclusive school. We welcome everybody into our school community and aim to support every child to reach their full potential both academically and socially.

Facilities are available to enable access to school for children with a disability. We recognise that some children have special talents which need nurturing and that some children may need additional support occasionally, or even continuously, in order to help them make progress.

All teachers differentiate classroom work to meet the needs and abilities of individual children within their class.

If a child requires additional support or programmes to aid their learning or physical needs, they will, after close consultation with parents, be placed on the school’s Special Educational Needs Register in accordance with the code of practice that all schools adhere to. This allows school to work in close partnership with a wide range of services including health and social care as well as outside educational professionals to devise programmes and support packages to enable children to gain the support they need and make academic progress.

We firmly believe that the child, parents, school and any agencies should work closely together in order to provide the support needed so that every child reaches their full potential whilst at our schools.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEN)?

Class/subject teacher
Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Inclusion Leader know as necessary.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

The Inclusion Leader
Responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEN) and developing the school’s SEN Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring all the SEN needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEN in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEN.
  • Giving responsibility to the  Inclusion Leader and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • Making ure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEN.

SEN Governor
Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN.

Schools sometimes use and seek the support of outside agencies 
These agencies become involved when it has been identified by the class teacher/ Inclusion Leader as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team
  •  Sensory Education Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)
  •  Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/ Inclusion Leader (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work/observe  your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
    • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise
    • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group
    • A group or individual work with outside professional
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual support
This is provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/ Inclusion leader as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at School Action Plus. 
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than additional support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with school support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible. 
  • The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the outcomes that are aimed to be achieved for your child and how these will be met. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong
  • Needing above and beyond the help provided at the school support level.
How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?
  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Inclusion Leader or Headteacher
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEN Governor.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have
  • plan any additional support your child may receive
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?
  • The school budget, includes money for supporting children with SEN.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the  Inclusion Leader discuss all the information they have about SEN in the school, including:
    • the children getting extra support already
    • the children needing extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

And decide what resources/training and support is needed.

  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.
Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEN in this school?

Directly funded by the school:

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school.
  • STAPS (Assessment, advice and resources for children with literacy or numeracy difficulties including Dyslexia)

Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).

Provided and paid for by the Health Service but delivered in school:

  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEN and what training do they h
  • The Inclusion Leader’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.
  • The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues such as ASD and Speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g from the ASD Outreach service, STAPS.
How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEN?
  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.
How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term.
  • If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P levels’.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEN/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The Inclusion Leader will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEN?
  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The Inclusion leader is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be shared with you with either by person or in a report.
  • Your child’s targets will be shared with you each term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
How is Ruskington Chestnut Street accessible to children with SEN?
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEN.
  • Extra curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN.
How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving child to another school:
    • We will contact the school Inclusion Leader and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • When moving classes in school:
    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.
    • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.
  • In Year 6:
    • The  Inclusion leader will meet with the Inclusion Leader of the secondary school
    • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
    • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.